Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Staff Selections - Jessica, Circulation

I love getting lost in new worlds and believing the unbelievable. The Young Adult section is my home away from home.

Favorite author? I wouldn’t be who I am today if I hadn’t discovered Francesca Lia Block as a teenager.

What are you reading now? Sapphique by Catherine Fisher – it’s the sequel to Incarceron, a great dystopian steampunk fantasy. I’m also skimming through The Digital Photography Companion to prepare for my new camera.

What have you read recently? The Lost Saint by Bree Despain (it’s the sequel to The Dark Divine and I loved it!); volume one of Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya; The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa (fluffy and groan-inducing at times, but enjoyable); Wired by Robin Wasserman; Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (very promising start to a series).
What is your favorite classic? There are few things I adore more than Lewis Carroll’s Alice books - seriously, it’s like my family and boyfriend, then the Cheshire Cat! The Lord of the Rings spawned my love of reading (really, it was the movies that did it, but I’m here to promote books).

What is your favorite series? Love, love, love Harry Potter - I’m one of those people that waited in line at midnight to get the last book. The Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier is amazing and had a huge impact on me. I think the Prydain chronicles by Lloyd Alexander is an oft overlooked gem. The Hitchhiker’s Guide books are brilliant and hilarious, if you can wrap your head around them. Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Alice 19th, and Vampire Knight are some of my favorite manga series.

What are your favorite recommendations? Graceling by Kristin Cashore; The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan; Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl; Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron; Neverwhere & Stardust by Neil Gaiman; The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery; Howl's Moving Castle & Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones; the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare; the Twelve Kingdoms books by Fuyumi Ono; Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith; The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick; A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray; Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta; The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner; Sabriel by Garth Nix; Beastly by Alex Flinn; Holly Black’s books.....I really could keep going on and on.

I have slight otaku tendencies, which means I'm super into manga - with awesome artwork and great stories, what more can you want? ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment